Winery Operations Manager
Company: The Wine Group
Posted on: June 6, 2021
At The Wine Group we are passionate about our people, our future
and our wine. We are America's second largest wine producer by
volume with over 1,200 employees globally across 12 locations in
California, New York and Australia. We are proud to be responsible
for many of America's most beloved wine brands, including Cupcake,
Franzia, Chloe, Concannon, Benziger, Imagery, AVA Grace, 7 Deadly
and more. We are dedicated to our culture built on values like
entrepreneurialism, innovation, social responsibility and
stewardship. To learn about us and our career opportunities, check
us out at www.thewinegroup.com and then come join the exciting
journey at The Wine Group.
Reporting to the Plant Manager, this role has direct
responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the facility. Key
areas of responsibility include planning and directing the Cutler
winery cellar operation, ensuring priorities and protocols are
achieved, while managing people, cost effectiveness, quality,
accuracy, and safety to all performance standards and schedule.
- The Winery Operations Manager must exhibit strong managerial
and leadership skills. Also, the ability to interact with the
employees while continuing to build a cohesive team and develop
individual potential within the team members.
- Develop the production supervision staff (including Cellar
Supervisor, Foremen/Leads, and Refrigeration Ops), establishing key
performance indicators, and other measurable metrics to gauge the
efficiency of the staff.
- Coordinates, prioritizes, and implements daily cellar
activities including, but not limited to supervision, training, and
cross-training, job assignments, learning assistance, individual
employee development, counseling, safety awareness, and discipline
of employees to help them reach the overall objective of creating a
great product for minimal cost.
- Key driver of all Safety policies and procedures for the site.
This includes overseeing safety audits, incident investigations,
implementation of Company-wide safety policies and relevant safety
training. Must lead by example.
- Establish Plant objectives through construction of short and
long-term plans for Plant improvements. Work with engineering and
technical services to provide recommendations for improvements in
processing equipment and techniques. Create long range plans for
operating requirements and capital.
- Prepare and implement training programs to continually upgrade
the skills of personnel in areas of responsibilities. Responsible
for the development and training of personnel to include scheduling
- Must have a complete understanding of the enological process or
related fields of process.
- Create and manage of annual operating budget for the cellar
operation and manufacturing.
- Ensures compliance with all safety, personnel procedures,
policies and is responsible for keeping all SOP's current.
- Prepare monthly reports to Plant Manager regarding plant
activities which include processing activities, safety, problem
areas and/or areas requiring decisions. Report on layoffs and/or
recalls, disciplinary actions issue, scheduled meetings, and safety
- Responsible to see that inventories of plant equipment is
updated on an annual basis and presented to the Plant Manager for
review (pumps, hoses, fittings, spare motors, etc.).
- Must have competent understanding of high volumetric process
flows, as it relates to fluid process movement and wet
- Must be capable of setting cost recovery initiatives through
- Create and manage large scale capital projects for the cellar
operation and manufacturing.
- Work closely with the Maintenance Manager to ensure all
equipment, cooperage, and systems assigned to the cellar and
manufacturing departments are maintained in good, sanitary, safe,
and cost-effective working order to ensure quality of wine produced
and safe maintenance of the bulk inventory.
- Develop sanitation best practices while taking environmental
impacts into consideration.
- Play active role in documentation control for all regulatory
- In conjunction with Cellar Supervisor, lead the daily shift
change-over meetings with Winemaking, Cellar, and Maintenance.
- Must embrace and demonstrate The Wine Group's Vision, Mission,
and Values of Long-Term Sustainable Value Creation, while being
Relentlessly Entrepreneurial, with Empowered People who are
Responsible and Trustworthy and keep them in mind when making all
- This job description reflects management's assignment of
general functions; it does not restrict the tasks that may be
- Must be 21 or older at time of hire.
- Must demonstrate leadership abilities. Proven track record of
- BS/BA in Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Microbiology, or
Business Administration or equivalent education/work
- Minimum 5-7 years in staff management.
- Strong project management skills.
- Comfortable in bargaining unit environments.
- Adaptive and stable in changing environments.
- Must get the big picture issues, without losing the eye for
- Proven analytical thinker, complemented by subjectivity for
proper decision making.
- Proven resolution management skills.
- Seasoned crisis management expertise.
- Powerful oral and written communicator.
- Keen listening skills.
- Capable of managing multiple cross functional
- Must possess a strong understanding of ISO 9001-2000, HACCP,
BRC, and IFS protocols.
- Ability to work at heights up to 45 feet.
- Ability to operate various types of machinery to include, lift
trucks, pallet jacks, etc. May include the operations of any or all
processing equipment including refrigeration compressors, chillers,
- Must be able to lift and carry weights of up to 50 pounds at
- Possess the ability to work in a fast-paced environment under
- Working environment is both indoors and outdoors, with exposure
to related equipment and noise levels.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing,
and twisting in the production environment.
At The Wine Group, we are proud to be an equal opportunity
employer and we are committed to an environment of mutual respect,
diversity and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, disability, protected veteran status
or other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Family Winery Operations
- Job Function Operations
- Pay Type Salary
- The Wine Group, 38558 Road 128, Cutler, California, United
States of America
Keywords: The Wine Group, Visalia , Winery Operations Manager, Other , Cutler, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!