Company: Lewis Brisbois
Posted on: January 11, 2022
Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP, -a highly regarded national
law firm with a diversified practice, seeks a well-qualified
attorney to work in the Conflicts Department. -This position would
ideally sit on the West Coast, or in the alternative, be open to
working West Coast hours. This is a non-practicing position. The
Conflicts Attorney will be responsible for reviewing conflict check
reports and identifying, advising, analyzing and resolving
potential conflicts of interest and working directly with attorneys
to clear conflicts. This position ensures new matters and attorney
hires are compliant with the Firm's conflicts and risk management
policies and procedures.
- Juris Doctorate degree (JD) and active member of the Bar in good
- The appropriate candidate will have at least one to three (1-3)
years experience as a Conflicts Attorney in a large law firm
setting with demonstrated research and complex problem-solving
skills strongly preferred. Experience with analyzing and advising
on U.S. conflicts rules is required.
- Familiarity with the Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Requires ability to oversee and supervise staff members as needed
by the Department
- Database searching experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office
Suite (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidential and sensitive data;
excellent verbal and written communications skills with strong
organizational and analytical skills.
- Close attention to detail, fast thinker and ability to work under
pressure to meet deadlines.
- Experience with Aderant is preferred, though not required.
The Conflicts Attorney is responsible for clearing conflicts for
new clients, new matters, and additional party submissions, as well
as new attorney hires. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Analyze conflict reports, identifying potential conflict
- Perform legal research, including review of case law and
jurisdictional issues related to conflicts clearance, lateral
hiring, ethical walls, and related issues
- Communicate orally and in writing with Firm attorneys and
propose, coordinate, and document resolutions
- Procure, review, and draft waiver letters and engagement letters
from appropriate attorneys as deemed necessary in each
- Confirm need and establish ethical walls to screen individuals
from particular clients and matters as part of conflict clearing
- Liaise with General Counsel and other Firm attorneys to identify
business conflict issues and review and approve conflicts forms as
- Occasional assistance may be needed to cover urgent conflict
issues that arise outside normal hours of the department
- Answer queries from professional staff across the firm concerning
conflict checks and processes.
- Provide general legal ethics advice to Firm attorneys.
You will also assist in maintaining conflicts training for lawyers
and professional staff across the firm, as well as developing new
procedures as needed for streamlining conflict check requests and
consult on systems to improve conflict checks firm wide. You will
also need to work on ad hoc projects that may arise from time to
Salary commensurate with experience. Please submit cover letter and
Keywords: Lewis Brisbois, Visalia , Conflicts Attorney, Legal , Stratford, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!