Registered Nurse - RN
Company: United Health Systems
Posted on: May 10, 2022
Job DescriptionRegistered Nurse - State Prison Location: Avenal,
CAStart: immediately Contract- 6 monthsShift: Fri to Tues 10:00 pm
to 6:30 am Highlights:
- The RN collaborates with interdisciplinary teams to develop and
implement a plan of care for a specific group of assigned patients,
ensuring the coordination of care between other disciplines,
physicians, and support staff. Performs professional nursing duties
that incorporate the psychosocial, psychomotor and age-appropriate
cognitive skills of the patient/family/significant other to assess,
plan, intervene and advocate for the patient on an ongoing basis
throughout the continuum of care.
- Specialty Services: In addition to the above requirements,
Temporary/Relief RN's that are requested to work in a specialized
area such as Specialty Services, Emergency Department, Inpatient
Care and Obstetrics shall also have at least one (1) year of
experience within the last three (3) years providing patient care
within that setting and possess any required certificates. Clinical
competencies must be current and provided to the
Institution/Facility prior to the Temporary/Relief RN's being
- The Registered Nurse provides direct care in the Intensive Care
- Under general direction of the Nursing Department Leadership,
formulated a plan of care to meet the identified needs of
patient/family/significant others using the nursing process of
assessment, planning, intervention, implementation, and evaluation,
in accordance with established philosophy.
- Consistently monitor and evaluates patient outcomes and
modifies plan of care and participates in the coordination of
continuum of care.
- Able to respond quickly and accurately to changes in condition
or response to treatment.
- As appropriate, communicates and collaborate with other
professional disciplines to ensure effective patient care delivery
and achievement of desired patient outcomes.
- Performs, interprets and completes assessment/reassessment,
including physical, functional assessment, psychosocial, social,
medication history, spirituality, discharge planning, referrals to
interdisciplinary team and code status according to unit protocol,
policy and the individual needs of the patient.
- Provides appropriate pain assessment (in each body system) and
management of pain, including reassessment of pain.
- Initiates/updates patients plan of care based on initial and
comprehensive assessment/ reassessment.
- Knowledge of IV medications, ADR, and blood components, IV
catheters site (type, size, location, and verifies patency.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary healthcare team using
effective communication, utilizing SBAR when appropriate.
- Initiate, implements, and revises/updates patient specific plan
- Documents evidence of nursing care in medical records of
- Observes for reactions and /or complications, and report to the
physician in a timely manner.
- Consistently follows medication reconciliation.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of equipment and devices pertinent
to the care and safety of the patient.
- Demonstrates ability to identify and respond appropriately to
emergencies (i.e., Code Red, Code Blue, Code Grey, etc.).
- Provides an environment conducive to safety and security,
implements appropriate precautions/measures.
- Demonstrates ability to identify critical events/near misses
and takes appropriate action.
- Recognizes signs of abuse and reports appropriately per
- Completes documentation legibly, objectively, accurately and
- Completes documentation of medication given on the MAR and
- Practices appropriate measures of infection control using
principles of standard precautions (i.e. OSHA blood borne pathogens
standards, CDC guidelines).
- Demonstrates appropriate use of personal protective equipment
(i.e., gloves, gowns, masks, goggles) and handwashing and infection
- Adheres to all policies related to seclusion and restraint to
avoid/limit the usage.
- Maintains suicide precautions following policy.
- Respects cultural and religious practices of patients.
- Understands and abide by all department policies and procedures
as well as well as the Codes of Ethics, HIPAA/Patient Privacy
- Adheres to departmental initiatives related to performance
- Defining performance improvement problems solving process
(e.g., PDCA) and how its use assists in reaching improving patient
outcomes and /or organizational quality and verbalize at least one
departmental improvement initiative that has occurred within the
last 12 months.Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of: Professional nursing principles and techniques;
disease process and treatment modalities; appropriate
administration of medications; principles and procedures of
infection control; and principles of effective verbal, written and
- Ability to: Apply nursing principles and techniques; assess,
evaluate, and record symptoms and behavior; plan, organize and
direct the work of others; analyze situations accurately and take
effective action; maintain effective working relationships with
health professionals and others.Special Personal Characteristics:
- Empathetic understanding of patients of a State correctional
facility; willingness to work in a State correctional facility;
Emotional stability; patience; tact; alertness; and keenness of
observation.Special Physical Characteristics:
- Persons appointed to this position must be reasonably expected
to have and maintain sufficient strength, agility and endurance to
perform during stressful (physical, mental and emotional)
situations encountered on the job without compromising their health
and well- being or that of their fellow employees or that of
inmates or youthful offenders.Requirements of Registered Nurse:
- Active CA RN license required
- AHA BLS required
- AHA ACLS required
- NIHSS required
- ABM/MAB within 60 days of hire, annual thereafter
Keywords: United Health Systems, Visalia , Registered Nurse - RN, Healthcare , Avenal, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!