Teacher, State Hospitals
Company: California Department of State Hospitals
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Join our team! California's Department of State Hospitals, is
looking to hire a Full-time Permanent Teachers!
The California Department of State Hospitals (DSH) is the largest
forensic mental health hospital system in the world. We operate 5
hospitals in the beautiful State of California, as well as a
headquarters in Sacramento, and employ nearly 13,000 people. With
300+ classifications and so many diverse opportunities, we're sure
to have a place for you!
- Department of State Hospitals - Atascadero is located near
seaside communities of Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, and Cambria. Nearby
are San Simeon, Hearst Castle, Pebble Beach, Carmel-by-the-Sea,
Santa Barbara and the Monterey Peninsula.
- Department of State Hospitals - Coalinga is sixty miles from
Fresno. The beach communities of Monterey, Morro Bay, and Pismo
Beach are within two hours driving time, as is Yosemite National
- Department of State Hospitals - Metropolitan LA is found within
the community of Norwalk, 15 miles east of Los Angeles. To the
south is Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm and the marinas and beaches
of Huntington, Newport and Laguna. To the west are Palos Verdes and
Marina Del Rey.
- Department of State Hospitals - Napa is the heart of
California's wine country. Near San Francisco and Marin County
attractions, as well as the scenic Mendocino Coast.
- Department of State Hospitals - Patton is nestled south of the
San Bernardino Mountains near the communities of Upland, Ontario,
Redlands, Loma Linda, and Riverside.
Job Description and Duties:
- DSH is looking to fill a Full-time Permanent vacancy for
Teacher's at all five DSH locations
- In this role, these specialty classes help patients of State
hospitals prepare to become productive and contributing members of
society by training them in physical, social, intellectual, and
vocational functioning. The teachers give both individual and group
instruction and, in many instances, participate as members of an
interdisciplinary treatment team.
- The teacher plays an integral role in the total rehabilitation
process as well as in teaching the skills which will enable the
individual to seek educational opportunities.
- The Teachers' tasks include: evaluating, planning, assigning,
and supervising work; preparing courses of study and daily lesson
plans; counseling students as to progress in the instructional
program; working with students and helping them set and meet
educational needs and goals; participating in program evaluation;
and participating in extracurricular programs. In addition, they
may work with treatment teams which combine the services of
personnel in the educational, vocational, psychiatric, and casework
- The Teacher's role is that of providing information of an
education nature which can help other members of the team to better
determine each student's treatment needs. In new and developing
programs, Teachers may participate in the development and
continuing revision of curriculum.
- The Teacher, State Hospital, will be directed by the Assistant
Chief, Education in Recovery Mall Services. The incumbent will be
responsible for the following duties but not limited to:
- Plan daily for classroom instruction.
- Complete and provide all required documentation.
- Administer and interpret individual patient assessment and
- Attend administrative and professional staff meetings, as well
as staff development activities including Recovery Mall Services
meetings and discipline-specific professional development
- Provide supervision of patients.
- Control contraband as directed.
- Be responsible to perform TSI.
- Assist in hospital wide shakedowns.
Candidate must possess one of the following California
- Special Instruction Credential: Learning Handicapped.
- General Special Secondary for Handicapped Children
- Educational Handicapped
Applicants whose eligibility is based on successful completion of
an online exam at
,transfer exam, or those relying on lateral transfer must provide
with their application all documents necessary to substantiate that
they meet the minimum qualifications as identified in the exam
announcement and/or classification specification. Employees who
have SROA or Surplus status eligibility will be considered first.
Applications will be screened and only the most competitive
candidates will be invited for an interview. Failure to include
necessary documents may also exclude you from the hiring
Please reach out to me and I can assist you with your application
Krystle Lei Thornton Statewide Recruitment & Advertising
Keywords: California Department of State Hospitals, Visalia , Teacher, State Hospitals, Education / Teaching , Stratford, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!